Around 1920, a new style of housing which, in general, featured red tile roof material and stucco siding, became extremely popular in Monrovia. The Spanish Colonial which, in its original form had been seen primarily in the Southwest and Florida, was experiencing a revival. In California, this revival had been sparked by the buildings, featured at the 1915 Panama-California International Exposition, which were designed by Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Since Spanish architecture includes Byzantine, Mediterranean, and Moorish influence, these styles were also incorporated in the revivals seen at the California exhibition and then copied all over Southern California. In Monrovia, the revival took the form of houses which would be considered Spanish Colonial and others with more Mediterranean influence; consequently, the volunteers working on this project use the category ''Spanish and Mediterranean Revival.''
Both styles tend to have red tile roofs, stucco exterior walls, and arches over the primary windows and doors. The primary difference is that Mediterranean-influenced stucco structures are symmetrical, while Spanish-influenced structures are not. Consequently, a Mediterranean-influenced building will have a centered entrance and a pergola or porte-corchere at either end. The centered entrance is often semi-circular and attached, rather than flush with the side.
Spanish revivals in Monrovia may have an entry which opens into a tiny courtyard. In a two-story version, there may be a cantilevered second-story porch with wooden or wrought iron balustrade which gives the house a Monterey (colonial capital of California) look. Another version in Monrovia is a stucco structure with a Mission-shaped roof parapet and arched entry.
Note: There are currently no structures listed for this category.
145 Stedman Place
Lewis D. Remington
Monroe Addition to Monrovia Tract
Photo: Amanda Wray, 2010
Photo: Amanda Wray, 2010
Dr. Lewis D. Remington, a heart and lung specialist who came to Monrovia in 1909, built this home for him, his wife, Cassia (Prentiss), and daughter, Beatrice Dorothea to live in. Formerly he had lived at 146 Primrose Avenue with his first wife, Lida May, who died of lung disease in 1909.
Early pictures show the home painted white with red shutters. Originally there were cupboards built into the corners of the dining room, but they have since been removed. There was also a revolving cupboard as well as a small center island in the kitchen, neither of which remain. An unusual feature of the time was glass brick, which he used in the walls of both bathrooms.