Architectural Style

Period Revival

shotgun.jpg

This research site uses the term ''Period Revival'' to refer to houses built in Monrovia between 1920-1950 that, excluding the Folk Victorian and Spanish Revival, are miniatures of popular architectural times during previous periods of history. Monrovia has the following Period Revivals:

English cottage: Steep roofs and walls which may be made of brick, stucco, or half timbering. Doorways and windows may be rounded. The roof line may form ''eyebrows'' over the doors and windows. This roof line is meant to simulate thatch, the original roofing material of this type of house.

Tudor: Very similar to the above, but with tall brick chimneys and the implication of more money as these houses are modeled after the medieval English townhouses. Diamond-pane, hexagonal and/or oriel windows are often exterior features. Exterior walls may be of stucco which has been applied over lath and plaster, weatherboard, shingles.

Neoclassical: See Victorian.

Colonial Revival: Symmetrical. Exterior walls may be stucco or wood. The roof dormers which, in a full-sized house, would contain windows which open into rooms, are simply decorative. The front door often has a fan design over it and is centrally placed usually with an equal number of windows on either side of the front door. The tiny porch may be extended in a rectangle shape or semi-circular attached porch. Both porches are supported with slender round or rectangular columns.

145 Stedman Place

KNOWN DETAILS

C

15

No

1939

Period Revival

Unknown

Unknown

No

No

No

Monroe Addition to Monrovia Tract

Block No:

Lot No:

Landmarked?

Construction Year:

Architectural Style:

Contractor:

Architect:

Style Altered?

Location Changed?

Owner(s):

Demolished?

Subdivision:

Photo: Amanda Wray, 2010

press to zoom

Photo: Amanda Wray, 2010

press to zoom
1/1

Description

Dr. Lewis D. Remington, a heart and lung specialist who came to  Monrovia in 1909, built this home for him, his wife, Cassia (Prentiss),  and daughter, Beatrice Dorothea to live in. Formerly he had lived at 146  Primrose Avenue with his first wife, Lida May, who died of lung disease  in 1909.


Early pictures show the home painted white with red shutters. Originally there were cupboards built into the corners of the  dining room, but they have since been removed. There was also a  revolving cupboard as well as a small center island in the kitchen,  neither of which remain.   An unusual feature of the time was glass  brick, which he used in the walls of both bathrooms.