121 N. Myrtle Avenue
The tax records for 1888 list Edwin P. Large as the first owner of Lot 9, Block C. At that time, the value of the land is $300 and there is no improvement on the property. Tax records for 1889-1892 are missing, and the tax tax record for 1893 shows the value of the property still at $300 but a house, valued at $900, has been added.
The tax records here are misleading as a panorama photo of the area in 1887 shows a house on the property. Property was changing hands so quickly that city clerks often loss track of who owned a property and/or whether or not there was an improvement. However, besides the panorama view, the May 28, 1887, edition of the Monrovia Planet states that architects and builders, Messrs. Zimmerman and Blair have plans...for a residence for E.P. Large at a cost of $3,000. The "Blair" referred to is Luther Reed Blair, the architect of several other Victorian houses in Monrovia, one of which is still standing.
From 1895-1899, he house is owned by Lettie A. Forbes and increases in value to $1,000, but in 1900, Edwin P. Large owns the property again, but now house is gone. The tax information for 1901-1904 is missing.