133 E. Lime Avenue
Lot 21, Block B in the Town of Monrovia Subdivision lay unimproved until 1908 when Byron Clark built a two-storey house that would be a boarding house that provided furnished rooms for renters. The structure kept its function asa boarding house until it was torn down in the late 1950s.
The Sanborn maps show a two-storey, rectangular structure which is very common for commercial structures of that time. It was wood frame and had enough rooms to rent to ten people.
By 1921, Margaret Clark had died, and her husband moved to Anaheim to live with one of his daughters. They sold the business and the property, and the boarding house became the Ak-Sar-Ben Rooms in 1924. The owners then added a small dwelling at the back of the property by the alley with an address of 133 1/2 E. Lime Avenue.
This picture shows a glimpse of the two-storey rooming house on Lot 21. This picture dates from 1915-1920. The land to the east up to Ivy Avenue is still vacant. The house to the east of the boarding house won't be built until 1922.
This picture dates from the 1960s and is the reverse of the picture before it. The houses on Lots 21-16 that would have been in this picture have all been torn down.