334 S. Myrtle Avenue
Though James J. McLachlan was the first owner of the property, but he didn't actually own it until 1889. In the 1888 tax records, the owner of this lot is unknown, but the value of the land reflects its prime position as a corner lot on the northeast corner of South Myrtle and East Lime Avenues. It is assessed at $800, and the value after equalization is $300. The tax assessor’s book has no tax listed, but indicates the property has sold, but not to whom. The 1889 tax records show Lot 15 (as well as 13 and 14) belonging to James McLachlan. The lot’s value has dropped to $600, reflecting the bursting of the land boom bubble. The taxes due on the property are $3.90, but the property is sold to H. Hart.
The earliest subdivision map shows the following. The lots on the north, east, and south sides of Block B (the 100 block of East Palm, the 200 block of South Ivy and the 100 block of East Lime) all have north-south orientation. The dimensions are 50 by 140 feet deep. The back of each lot ends at the alley that bisects the block horizontally, east/west.
However, lots 10-15 were divided so that they fronted on South Myrtle. Their dimensions are 53 ⅓ by 150 feet. The Sanborn maps show no structure on Lot 15 until 1913, and that structure is the Renaker Funeral Parlor. It is unclear from the maps and directories what direction the front of this building faced when it was first built in 1911 because Sanborn maps indicate there were entrances with addresses into the building from the Lime side of the mortuary.
The first structure was owned by Charles Taylor (known as C.T.) Renaker. In 1887-88, his father, James John Renaker, had a funeral home/furniture/stationery store first in the Badeau Block, at the southeast corner of Colorado and Myrtle and then at 627 S. Myrtle. J.J. Renaker died in 1904, around the time the funeral parlor burned down, and C.T. constructed a new building for the mortuary business, including an apartment on the second floor for himself, his mother, and his brother Leslie.
For decades, the address for the funeral home was given only as the corner of Lime and Myrtle. It wasn't until 1926 that the city directories began to list an address, 334 S. Myrtle Ave., for the Renaker Funeral Parlor. Specifically, the following addresses are all associated with the structure the Renakers owned on Lot 15.
101 E. Lime
103 1/2 E. Lime (likely Mrs. J.J. Renaker's address as she lived upstairs over the mortuary)
107 E. Lime Ave.
109 E. Lime Ave.
111 E. Lime Ave.
342 S. Myrtle Ave.
By the late 1930's, the address for the mortuary is 334 S. Myrtle and Lot 15 still has that address today.
The first permit for this building is in 1914 for a sewer, but the permit is issued to to the 111 E. Lime address of the building. Another plumbing permit was issued in 1927 for the same address. It is most likely that this entrance was for the bodies and where cadaver preparation was done, so the plumbing would need to located at that interest.
There is no permit for demolition, but there is a construction permit indicating Lot 15 has been combined with Lot 14 to make a dress store, an Anita Shop, a chain of dress stores which existed through the 1950's and early 1960's.
Since 1957, the structure has had numerous owners and morphed through numerous businesses/