Architectural Style

Unknown

Around 1920, a new style of housing which, in general, featured red tile roof material and stucco siding, became extremely popular in Monrovia. The Spanish Colonial which, in its original form had been seen primarily in the Southwest and Florida, was experiencing a revival. In California, this revival had been sparked by the buildings, featured at the 1915 Panama-California International Exposition, which were designed by Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Since Spanish architecture includes Byzantine, Mediterranean, and Moorish influence, these styles were also incorporated in the revivals seen at the California exhibition and then copied all over Southern California. In Monrovia, the revival took the form of houses which would be considered Spanish Colonial and others with more Mediterranean influence; consequently, the volunteers working on this project use the category ''Spanish and Mediterranean Revival.''

Both styles tend to have red tile roofs, stucco exterior walls, and arches over the primary windows and doors. The primary difference is that Mediterranean-influenced stucco structures are symmetrical, while Spanish-influenced structures are not. Consequently, a Mediterranean-influenced building will have a centered entrance and a pergola or porte-corchere at either end. The centered entrance is often semi-circular and attached, rather than flush with the side.

Spanish revivals in Monrovia may have an entry which opens into a tiny courtyard. In a two-story version, there may be a cantilevered second-story porch with wooden or wrought iron balustrade which gives the house a Monterey (colonial capital of California) look. Another version in Monrovia is a stucco structure with a Mission-shaped roof parapet and arched entry.

Note: There are currently no structures listed for this category.

229 E. Lime Avenue

KNOWN DETAILS

Block No:

Lot No:

Landmarked?

Construction Year:

Architectural Style:

Contractor:

Architect:

Style Altered?

Location Changed?

Owner(s):

Demolished?

Subdivision:

A

20

No

1909-1910

Unknown

Unknown

Unknown

No

No

Yes

Town of Monrovia

This illustration shows the very simple dwelling built on Lot 20 that the Crandall family used as a rental. Their own house with additional rental structures on Lot 21 is shown to the left.

This illustration shows the very simple dwelling built on Lot 20 that the Crandall family used as a rental. Their own house with additional rental structures on Lot 21 is shown to the left.

1/1

Description

The 1888 tax record lists Mrs Martha Ward as the first owner of this  property, valued at $300.  The next year the property had dropped in  valued by half, and the tax records list the owners as the real estate  firm of Spence, Bicknell & Crunch.  In 1890 and 1891, tax records  show the owner as E. Bunnell, and then Martha Ward returns as owner from  1892 to 1895 when the property was sold to W.A. Crandall.  By then, the  value of the property was $75.

The Crandalls also owned Lot 21,  but they didn't do anything with Lot 20 until 1909 or 1910 when they  built a small dwelling valued at only $50.  By then the value of the  property itself had climbed to $450.  They used the property as a rental  and lived in their own home next door.


The 1907 Sanborn map shows  the first dwelling, a  very small one, toward the back left of the  property.  Over the years, many renters lived in the house.  The  1913-1914 Monrovia Directory lists  Clyde F. Stevenson living here, then  in 1916-1917,  Lloyd and Lillian M. Parkhurst were the renters.  Mr.  Parkhurst's profession is given as a nursery worker at Pioneer Nursery.   The directory for 1919-1920 lists Miss Wava Mowrey and P. Clara Mowrey  as residents here.


Mrs. Crandall kept the property for sometime  after her husband died.  Eventually, the property was sold to William H.  Beebe and his wife.


In the early 1960's, the California Water  & Telephone Company acquired the property at 229 E. Lime with plans  to turn into a parking lot.  For its employees.  The utility company had  already purchased the three lots to the west of this address.  In 1963,  the Lot 20 was re-zoned for parking, and the house was torn down  because it was old, and because it was a house in an area zoned for  parking, it was not in compliance with the Zoning Ordinance.


There  are no pictures of the house, but its outline on the Sanborn maps show  it to have been a very small, narrow structure.  It was most likely a  simple, wood-frame house with a shotgun format.  A shotgun house is one  with a front-facing gable, one room in width, and two more rooms deep.


The pictures on this page show the large amount of space Lots 17-20 cover.